Sunday, August 26, 2018

John McCain, May His Memory be a Blessing

I first met John McCain at a primary campaign rally in New Jersey in 2000. A photograph of him and my wife memorializing that event looks down at me as I write this blog.  I later met him two more times in more private surroundings. We talked about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the growing problem of Iran. He candidly admitted that he had no real solution for the Iran of a decade ago. I spoke on his behalf at a Baruch College forum during his 2008 presidential campaign.

In those conversations he was authentic. Unlike other politicians I have known, what you saw on television is what I witnessed in person. Even in a very serious conversation his sense of humor came through and above all else I knew I was in the presence of an American patriot. At a time when America is being threatened from within and without his counsel and leadership will be sorely missed.

There are far more eloquent things being written about John McCain today. I only knew him causally and for that I will be eternally grateful. His family has our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment