Wednesday, May 19, 2021

My Amazon Review of Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Shadow in the Wind"

 

Parallel Lives

 

“The Shadow of the Wind” is my current book club selection. I never would have read it were it not for that, but I am so glad I did. Little did I know that it is the best-selling Spanish novel since Don Quixote. The novel evolves around the parallel story of Daniel Sempere who is 10 years old in 1945 when the book begins and the novelist Julian Carax whose story begins in the 1920s. Carax has a teenaged love affair with Penelope while Daniel has his teenaged love affair with Beatriz. They both have a common enemy in Fumero who is an assassin turned policeman.

 

The story begins with Daniel visiting the Cemetery of Dead Books and discovers a Carax novel and he becomes intrigued by it and decides to find out all he can about him. He become quite the detective. Along the way we see pre- and post-Civil War Spain and we can taste the streets of Barcelona where most of the action takes place.

 

We also get great insight from Fermin who becomes Daniel’s accomplice in his adventures. Fermin is a former Republican agent who was discovered as beggar and brought into working at Daniel’s family bookstore. Fermin brings with him quite a few insights and some comic relief.

 

This is a long and complicated book with all kinds of plot twists, but it held my interest throughout. This review hardly does justice to it.  I am so glad that my book club discovered it for me.


For the full Amazon URL see: Parallel Lives (amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment